ChicagoZ.com- A Forum for Everything Nissan Z, 350z, 370z, Infiniti G35, G37, GTR, and MORE!  

Left Nav Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Please Support Our Sponsors

Go Back   ChicagoZ.com- A Forum for Everything Nissan Z, 350z, 370z, Infiniti G35, G37, GTR, and MORE! General Discussion Car Talk

Notices

Car Talk The Nissan Z & related car topics

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Derek178
Local Celebrity

Default Does all gas in IL contain ethanol?

I was reading an article the other day of how ethanol reduces MPG anywhere from 10-25 percent since its not as efficient as standard gas. Is ethanol mandated by law in this state?

Any gas stations that sell non-ethanol gas?
Derek178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Kuhan
Executive Status

none that I know of. seem like all gas stations around here have 10% ethanol.
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
ZLover4Life
Elite Status

You have to go to rural areas (and I mean really rural, not like Frankfort) to find non-ethanol gas. Most of the gas in my town is non-ethanol, but I'm 250 miles from Chicago, so it's not like you'll be driving out here for gas. lol

(And if anyone's wondering, gas stations in rural areas don't push ethanol because of six-figure farm implementation that likely couldn't handle it. They offer 10% ethanol 87 octane in addition to regular old 87, 89, 91/92/93 octane, if the station carries ethanol-blended fuels at all.)
Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
RamsZ33
Site Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to RamsZ33

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.

True for the following gas stations:

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations

2008 Silver 350Z
RamsZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Derek178
Local Celebrity

Thanks! I actually went back to Umbra a few days later and got retinted to 35% like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsZ33 View Post
1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.

True for the following gas stations:

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Derek178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
RamsZ33
Site Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek178 View Post
Thanks! I actually went back to Umbra a few days later and got retinted to 35% like you.
haha I figured you would, it looks so nice doesn't it?

And yeah all gas companies share pipelines/gas so the only concern your choice in gas station should have is price. "top tier" detergents etc are required by law. I find it hard to believe rural gas is any different.

2008 Silver 350Z
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
ZLover4Life
Elite Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsZ33 View Post
I find it hard to believe rural gas is any different.
Find it hard to believe all you want. Next time I fill up, I'll take a picture of the pumps for you. 87 octane with 10% ethanol right next to 87 octane without ethanol. Gas with ethanol is 10-cents cheaper.

Edit (9:40pm): I'll be right back, I gotta run out anyway, and will post evidence when I get back.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 12-05-2009 at 08:40 PM..
ZLover4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
RamsZ33
Site Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLover4Life View Post
Find it hard to believe all you want. Next time I fill up, I'll take a picture of the pumps for you. 87 octane with 10% ethanol right next to 87 octane without ethanol. Gas with ethanol is 10-cents cheaper.

Edit (9:40pm): I'll be right back, I gotta run out anyway, and will post evidence when I get back.
Oh so they have both, now that I'll believe lol....

2008 Silver 350Z
Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
ZLover4Life
Elite Status

Up until about last fall, there were still stations that didn't have ethanol at all. Now, some have ethanol in all their fuel, some only have ethanol in 87 octane.

$2.69 for 87 with ethanol, $2.79 for 87 without ethanol.
Click the image to open in full size.

Next town over has a bigger-name gas station (might be a BP, but I'm not positive - I do know it's the only gas station in that town lol) that has 89 octane with 10% ethanol as their only ethanol-based gas, so you can get 87 octane or 89 octane with ethanol for the same price.

So the true answer to his question is YES, there are still gas stations in Illinois that have non-ethanol fuels. But not anywhere near Chicago, as I've seen.

And now that I'm curious as to the differences between mileage with ethanol and non-ethanol fuels, I may have to fill up with regular 87 octane next time I drive to Chicago and see if I notice any difference in mileage. Sure would be nice to get better than 16mpg in the Blazer. Will post results whenever I do that.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 12-05-2009 at 09:06 PM..
ZLover4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
RamsZ33
Site Fanatic

my old 1995 Corolla
Fuel Economy: 27 MPG city / 34 MPG highway

I was able to get ~34 in the summer with BP 87 w/ 10% ethanol, mostly city driving...with highway speeds...

2008 Silver 350Z