Thread: Hopefully new to be new member from Carol stream

Default Hopefully new to be new member from Carol stream

What's up guys, new here (first post) I been lurking here for a year now and disappointed that this site isn't very active but i'll attempt to present myself regardless. My name is Henry, I'm 29y.o. And just now I'm finally getting situated to the point where I'm able to purchase a car I actually want and not a hand me down car (for the second time at least.)

I'm currently driving a 2003 Monte carlo with 800k+ miles on it and a 2006 (1700 miles on it) supercharged M5. I drive the Monte almost 100% of the time though while the M5 sits in the garage and collects dust. I'm currently In the market for a replacement for my Monte which I had for 12 years now. I drove a 2005 G35 sedan a while back and fell in love with the way it responds, driver comfort, and actually MPG's too. Well now time has come to replace the Monte for something new(er). I been looking at sedans only as I have 2, soon to be 3 children and even though my kids never entered my car it's possible they will in the near future as they grow older and responsibilities start to expand.

I'm currently debating between 5 cars, 2008+ Cadillac CTS AWD, lexus IS350, acura TL type SH, G37S and G37xs. I've driven all cars and I've driven the TL in manual and auto. I've aslo driven 4 different g37's one of which was a 6mt sport sedan, one was an auto sport sedan, the other two were G37XS with paddles lol but in all the cars I've driven the G37 steals my heart in 6mt sport.

I'm more here to collect information from actual chicago drivers on whether I should opt for the G37S 6mt sedan or stay a semi safer route and go G37XS auto sedan, I'm talking chicago winters so snow, sludge, continous rain in spring and high winds all factor in here. Please drivers of both RWD & AWD chime in.
    Personally I miss driving a manual gear box as my Monte is auto and my M5 is an SMG(auto).

Whatever car I decide on will remain stock minus exhaust and tints but it will be my daily driver and no heavy mods will be added like superchargers/turbochargers and/or bagged suspension. The M5 I'm selling and the Monte I'm just waiting for it to die or hit a million miles before Chevrolet of USA buys it back and credits me $24,000 toward a new car purchase of my choice.

Please help a bother out, help me figure out the G37 I can actually use here cause I miss the 6mt but AWD is doable if it's just too much for a daily driver rwd G37 to handle.

Although I don't have personal driving experience with those cars, and although I do understand you'll likely enjoy the G37S MT the most for 8 months of the year, given that the car will be your daily driver in Chicago winters too (and with the little ones in it as well), I'd lean to the G37xS with the paddle shifters.
    2009 GT-R. Live every min as if it'll be your last. 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR. 2013 WRX STi.
    Past daily drivers: '02 WRX, '89 Civic Si, '83 Subaru Wagon, '79 Mercury Capri 5.0L, '71 Pinto 2.0L.
    Past toys: '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-81), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '81 DeLorean ('81-2005).

If you are concerned about getting stuck in the snow, a good set of snow tires and rims is a nice compromise

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I purchased a 2007 G35x a while back and I it's been a great vehicle.

Coming from an M3 I really wanted something sportier, so I eventually sold the G35x and found a G37S.

I wanted the better seats, the bigger brakes, the aero, the VLSD, the options for more suspension mods, paddle shifters, 7at, etc.

I don't need any of that stuff but it's what I wanted. I would be fine with driving the G37S in the winter with snow tires, however I have a truck that I drive when the weather is bad.

I feel that the G37S with snow tires would do better in the winter than a G37x with All Seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't mind juggling two sets of seasonal wheels and tires on the G37S, that's a good solution. Otherwise the G37xS with all-seasons would be the choice. And I only say that because your looking at a G37xS (not merely a G37x). Either way, happy motoring.
    2009 GT-R. Live every min as if it'll be your last. 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR. 2013 WRX STi.
    Past daily drivers: '02 WRX, '89 Civic Si, '83 Subaru Wagon, '79 Mercury Capri 5.0L, '71 Pinto 2.0L.
    Past toys: '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-81), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '81 DeLorean ('81-2005).

Ok that's cool guys i'll try hunting down a G37xS (black on black) I know it won't be a manual since now it will be an X but Its something I perfer enduring over having two sets of wheels & tires, and the nervousness of driving in major snow/ice storms. I know myself I will still get the snow tires for the X anyways but I need to actually find a low milage XS before anything. I'm not willing to cope with the journey model so if in all honestly I don't find a decent G37XS sedan i'll just go for a G37S (manual) sedan instead. Sadly they're both extremely difficult to find in this region.

A G37xS will be an easier find here, than a Sport especially in 6mt.

Source: I spent lots of time on the inter webs looking myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Habbibie View Post
    Ok that's cool guys i'll try hunting down a G37xS (black on black) I know it won't be a manual since now it will be an X but Its something I perfer enduring over having two sets of wheels & tires, and the nervousness of driving in major snow/ice storms. I know myself I will still get the snow tires for the X anyways but I need to actually find a low milage XS before anything. I'm not willing to cope with the journey model so if in all honestly I don't find a decent G37XS sedan i'll just go for a G37S (manual) sedan instead. Sadly they're both extremely difficult to find in this region.
    It is not black-on-black, but there is a recent thread on this website in the "Private Classified" section selling a silver, clean low-mileage 2009 G37xS sedan. Check it out:
    http://www.chicagoz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36794