Thread: Ever replace your gauge cluster on g35

Local Celebrity

Default Ever replace your gauge cluster on g35

I have a fuel level problem. On my 05 g35x, its not reading remotely close to accurate. It currently doesn't drop below 3/4 tank ever.

So I've done some homework and found 3 possible parts of the system, 2 fuel levels and the cluster itself.

So far I've taken both fuel level sensors out of my tank and measure resistance, all are exactly within specs. 3ohm at full and 40 or 80ohms at empty ( 40 for driver and 80for pass). That's not a failure, those are OEM specs per all data and FSM.

I saw the DIY on my350z on cleaning, it didn't help. I saw on titans and frontiers they had recalls on 05+ models. They simply just replaced the sensor (but they have one). Many people stated the dealer replaced something but are clueless because it was under warranty. A few people said the cluster was replaced.

So I opted to buy a new sensor, I bought the one listed as primary. That is the pass side that is part of the fuel pump assembly. I installed it and no go. Same problem. So now I'm a little torn between trying to get the sensor for the other side or a gauge cluster. A cluster is hard to find and a little wild to think would go wrong. They do fail but not sure on this one. No specs to test.

Just wondering if anyone ever had to replace a cluster. Or if you have a 05-06 laying around for me to test with. EBay has them for $100.

well if you do replace the cluster you will have to bring it to the dealer. To code the mile's and for you're anti teft. Car might not start. Are you useing a good scanner with data to see?

Quote Originally Posted by TurTLe View Post
    I have a fuel level problem. On my 05 g35x, its not reading remotely close to accurate. It currently doesn't drop below 3/4 tank ever.

So I've done some homework and found 3 possible parts of the system, 2 fuel levels and the cluster itself.

So far I've taken both fuel level sensors out of my tank and measure resistance, all are exactly within specs. 3ohm at full and 40 or 80ohms at empty ( 40 for driver and 80for pass). That's not a failure, those are OEM specs per all data and FSM.

I saw the DIY on my350z on cleaning, it didn't help. I saw on titans and frontiers they had recalls on 05+ models. They simply just replaced the sensor (but they have one). Many people stated the dealer replaced something but are clueless because it was under warranty. A few people said the cluster was replaced.

So I opted to buy a new sensor, I bought the one listed as primary. That is the pass side that is part of the fuel pump assembly. I installed it and no go. Same problem. So now I'm a little torn between trying to get the sensor for the other side or a gauge cluster. A cluster is hard to find and a little wild to think would go wrong. They do fail but not sure on this one. No specs to test.

Just wondering if anyone ever had to replace a cluster. Or if you have a 05-06 laying around for me to test with. EBay has them for $100.