Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So how much is a decent R35 cost now days?

Default So how much is a decent R35 cost now days?

Going to sell the car by end of year. and slightly having crazy thoughts about owning a GTR for dd. is it even possible? and what year is the best year?
    any specs i need to look out for in buying a preowned GTR? what would be the right price range?

mods please move this to off topic, if im posting in the wrong forum.
    05 BO Coupe 6MT: ARC / Volk / Stance

Simple questions; but no simple answer. It all depends. E.g. do you want a stock or a modded one? Stock specs (from memory only):
    2009 - 480 hp 0-60 in 3.3 secs
    2010 - 483
    2011 - 485
    2012 - 535
    2013 - 545
    2014 - ??? 2.8

Modded ones can go >1000 hp, even one claiming >2000 hp.

Look out for ones that may have been abused, especially early 2009's which could be "launched" at 4500 rpm, voiding the warranty, and potentially damaging or destroying the trans ($20k to replace!). Mid-2009 model they changed launch to 3300 rpm with no restrictions on warranty; this mod was also offerred as a no-cost retro to the early 2009s (and I had that change made to mine, which has never been launched --- I'm into the track day performance more than the 0-60, and in any case the change only lost 0.1 secs and you can get the same accel times by simply mashing the throttle with the trans in race-auto, letting the computer shift better every time versus what you can manage with the paddles anyway).

Mileage and condition will obviously also affect price. I'm just guessing, but a clean low mileage more-or-less stock 2009 should be in the low $60K's. Use as a DD is definitely realistic, except in the bad Chicago winter conditions. But even with the excellent AWD, in any deep snow, it'd be a snowplow given the low front airdam. Also, beware bad potholes; even with the suspension setting at "comfort" it rides super-stiff and therefore it (and you) can get beat to hell by a really poor road surface.

My 2009 will be 5 years old on Sep 3, 2013. It has been daily driven Spring-Summer-Fall and limited driven in winter. Its stock, except for the wheels, tires, brake rotors & pads, brake lines, and brake fluid. I have 32,000 miles on it. It has one 2,000 mile, 4x1,000 mile, and several 500 mile road trips; tons of local DD; 12 days of wild backroad runs in the Ozark Mtns during 3 Branson Z Fests; and a handful of all-out trackdays at Autobahn. Total fuel economy (if that matters) has averaged 18.7 mpg, including 22-23 highway and ~4 mpg on track days (but that's the most fun you'll ever get out of a few tanks of gas ).

Before buying one, I recommend you have it taken to a Nissan dealer (to the GT-R certified mechanic) to look it over and have the "black box" reviewed to see its history.
    2009 GT-R. Live every min as if it'll be your last. 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR. 2013 WRX STi.
    Past daily drivers: '02 WRX, '89 Civic Si, '83 Subaru Wagon, '79 Mercury Capri 5.0L, '71 Pinto 2.0L.
    Past toys: '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-81), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '81 DeLorean ('81-2005).

Thanks for the insight, John. Very helpful tips.
    ~Khánh
    08 Nogaro Red 350Z - "life is endless" - sold
    07 Black Sapphire BMW M5 - current
    Team Project X

oh wow thank you. i can only dream about owning a GTR..
    05 BO Coupe 6MT: ARC / Volk / Stance

I've also contemplated selling my DD and NSX to get a GTR for a DD. It would be more practical, but I'm torn though... I know I would regret selling the nsx.
    Join the ChicagoZ.com Network!
    Facebook|Flickr|Twitter|Synth19.com

My flickr®

"LIKE" ChicagoZ on facebook!

I feel like if you can barely afford one but still get one the upkeep would be a killer
    Ive heard if you want to keep the warranty but you track it you need to do all these things at the dealer and stuff like that
    Dont quote me on that, I have no gtr experience, just heard it
    03 G35 Sedan - Daily Driven

Quote Originally Posted by synth19 View Post
    I've also contemplated selling my DD and NSX to get a GTR for a DD. It would be more practical, but I'm torn though... I know I would regret selling the nsx.
    Noooo.... I really think you would regret it! Unless of course you gave me a REALLY good deal on the NSX in which case you would be the happiest ever! ...EVER!

I mean, maybe if you were thinking about waiting for the nismo GT-R... I dont see how anyone could regret anything done to get that car when it comes out. You would certainly have to keep your daily though!
    GTM Stage II Twin Turbo G37S 6MT - and the list goes on...

Executive Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    I feel like if you can barely afford one but still get one the upkeep would be a killer
    Ive heard if you want to keep the warranty but you track it you need to do all these things at the dealer and stuff like that
    The phrase I always saw for maintenance was "Cheap for an Exotic, expensive for normal cars"

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Maintenance is indeed NOT cheap. But its likely less than for high-end Porsches and definitely less than for Ferrari-Lambo type exotics (even though the GT-R bests them on track). The dealership service prices are crazy bad, so I go elsewhere for major items. Examples:
    1) I priced a set of factory all-season tires (which were an OEM zero-cost option, in lieu of the summer-only tires) at the dealer when I first got the car, as I needed something for winter (but I still wanted the summer tires for summer and track). The dealer price for the tires was nearly DOUBLE the Tire Rack price! Instead, I bought Blizzaks from GT Motoring at the Tire Rack price, with shipping and mounting included. For the summer OEM tires, I've gotten ~13,000 miles on the fronts and ~26,000 miles on the rears (though most owners report less or much less tire mileage); and even at the Tire Rack prices, depending on which tire you choose, fronts are ~$400 each and rears ~$450 each.
    2) An oil change at the dealer is ~$250. (Mobil One, plus much of the lower under-body aero-cover must be removed and replaced, using ~ 2 dozen special fasteners.)
    3) After my first few track days, I replaced the following:
    A - engine oil & filter
    B - transmission fluid
    C - front diff fluid
    D - rear diff fluid
    E - brake fluid
    F - 4 brake rotors & pads
    The dealer price quote was $10,400. Instead, I had GT Motoring (whose owner had his own GT-R and performed all kinds of mods on it, so he knows the car really well, and does great work) do the same items, except that he gave me AP Racing j-hook brake rotors & pads (superior to the OEM ones), superior brake fluid, and installed braided SS brake lines, with all other fluids being OEM,to maintain warranty; and GT Motoring's price was only $4,400.

Some items do require using the dealer, not for maintaining warranty, but because some require using the dealer's special equipment. E.g. every spring and fall when I swap between my winter and summer wheels/tires, only the dealer has the equipment to have my on-board computer re-learn the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensor) in the newly re-mounted set of wheels. A $60 charge for ~5 mins of work, twice per year.

One big benefit of the dealer service though (in addition to having a "certified GT-R technician" who had to get 2-weeks of off-site GT-R-speciifc training before the dealership could even place an order for the car; and no one else at the dealership is allowed to touch the car, even to move it) is the fact that at each service I can have them down-load, from the infamous "black box", a history of of how many hours each fluid has spent in each of 5 temperature ranges, which is a great diagnostic tool for judging if and when to change fluids.

But your point that some folks may spend their last nickel on the car purchase, and then are strapped for maintaining it, is true. I've seen many folks with that complaint posting on the GT-R owners websites.
    Last edited by CajunGodzilla; 08-23-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    2009 GT-R. Live every min as if it'll be your last. 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR. 2013 WRX STi.
    Past daily drivers: '02 WRX, '89 Civic Si, '83 Subaru Wagon, '79 Mercury Capri 5.0L, '71 Pinto 2.0L.
    Past toys: '67 Sunbeam Alpine ('77-81), '66 Sunbeam Tiger ('80-2003), '81 DeLorean ('81-2005).

I'm not sure the gtr is a good dd. Besides winter being problematic. I feel like a car like that will have expensive maintenance items come up to often as a dd. For example if i dd my z exclusively year round, I would have to have new tires annually maybe every 14 months ( I drive 16k per year between all my cars) and new brakes every 1.5-2 years. Also, most fluids (except engine oil) would have to be drained and refilled every two years.

Then there's insurance

To me I think it would be poor financial choice to buy a gtr unless you have substantial amounts of spending money. Enough where the gtr can be just another toy in the garrage.

Overall dd cars are worth it to have. My scions cost to own (payments, ins, maintenance) is literally cheaper on an annual basis then it would cost to drive the z year round. I can only imagine what a gtr is like. Something else to consider is depreciation hit of having a daily gtr

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 370Z 40 Anniv., 6 MT | Fast Intentions | Swift Spec-R | Z1 Motorsports | Redline | JWMotoring |
    2010 Scion xD, Black, 5 Speed Manual