Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Z (How do we improve the community/ Get people excited)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhan View Post
    If the site is slow, shouldn't the mods and the admins think of different ways to keep the site going?
    In all honesty mods don't have much control over the features/look of the site. I think just like JDMC, ChiZ deserves a nice home page with actual features of different Zs and Gs in Illinois.

As for setting up meets though, I think we should definitely start having more mini-meets like last years summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mcderns View Post
    Im here! You cant blame the site being slow on the moderators. The users are what makes the site what it is.
    +1

Sean, it's not about the technical features or look of the site, it's about the community and what goes on outside of the actual forums. You can have all the gimmicks in the world, but what it comes down to is the community and user experience outside of the forums. This is the reason for having a "local" site. What made this forum great was the events and commeradery which developed outside of the forums.

The role of moderators on the site is to moderate the forum, their is no implied responsibility for them to organize events. Now, it is true- Traditionally speaking; moderators and admins actually did organize events and took more of a leadership role. We also actually had "event coordinators" a few years ago, but those guys kinda dropped out and lost interest in the car scene.

At the peak of ChicagoZ, we had alot more people organizing meets and cruises (not just moderators). Many of these guys have since moved on, which is the reality of car forums. I have been on forums since 1999 and one thing is a constant- the users are always revolving. It's just a natural order of things. Unfortunately, as people have been moving on, we just don't have the same type of leaders we had in the past.

So step up and make a change if you want to see a change. Julius (dizeazed) for example has been sending me PM's over the last few days about organizing a meet. That is EXACTLY how someone can revitalize the scene. Don't blame people or point fingers if you hate the scene, take matter into your own hands and change it.
    Join the ChicagoZ.com Network!
    Facebook|Flickr|Twitter|Synth19.com

My flickr

"LIKE" ChicagoZ on facebook!

I'm going to be setting up some tech days at Stu's house for those interested.

Both myself and Stu are on vacation this week though...lol. so more to follow.

Let me know what you want to learn about at these and I can make it a common thing.

I need input though!

Ps. The first day will be write tucks.

Sent from somewhere in time, probably now though.
    [27-04, 17:52] dt - my penis is like a pin, small and skinny but it can do some damage

I think people would be more enticed to go to meets if it were associated with some sort of discount or group rate at the venue where the meet is being held (ie., restaurant, Dave and Busters, strip club). Not sure how hard that is to do, but I agree with the posts above that it does come down to individuals stepping up to get the ball rolling on these things.

Discounts are easy to do, just have to ask. BUT, discounts work better at the mom/pop type places. Franchises don't usually like to give discounts.... but there ARE exceptions.
    Join the ChicagoZ.com Network!
    Facebook|Flickr|Twitter|Synth19.com

My flickr

"LIKE" ChicagoZ on facebook!

You all are my first car club family aside from a short time as an inactive member of the BMWCCA. Definitely a didn't group, but mostly in a good way from what I can remember. So far I've participated in the PX Pinewood Derby (won a couple prizes ) and the first official meet at Al's Beef. I've missed a few events and unfortunately all three of Jsolo's cruises because of schedule conflicts, but I want to get out and meet some of you and know who it is I am talking/typing to. Heck, I wonder how many of you I met at Al's Beef and the Bolingbrook Supercar Saturday, but had no idea at the time.

300xzturboftw said that people are out and about with the weather being so nice. I'm guilty of that to some extent. I hit the boards multiple times a day during work, but fall off at night unless I know something is going on.

I guess I don't really have a point to this, but I thank those who have already organized events and look forward to the upcoming ones!
    Silver 2003 350Z Touring 6-speed coupe

Default Just my 2 cents..

There's only so much mods and admins can do. The most they can do is set things up and try to allure more members to participate on/offline, but if people aren't motivated to do so, it's all useless. And, honestly, it's the community itself that attracts newcomers.

I've been around a few Z communities and groups across the country over several years and if I could be brutally honest, the community here is more noticeably segregated into different cliques and is not as welcoming as some of the others I've been a part of. I'm not saying it's bad now because some of the guys I met were awesome, but there's a lot of room for improvement in general. Also, there's not a lot of variety in the type of events and almost strictly caters to the show crowd.

If you want a more active and close knit community, everybody needs to step up and spread the word. Invite others to join in on the festivities and encourage them to stay and maybe even contribute to the group. You have to make others feel like they want to be a part of it all, not feel like an outsider. Hold different events, so you can attract not only the regular crew but new guys with different tastes as well (ex. race event, dyno days, install days, meet for drinks, etc).

TL;DR
    • not enough variety in events
    • not the most welcoming for noobs
    • nobody proactive

Quote Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero View Post
    There's only so much mods and admins can do. The most they can do is set things up and try to allure more members to participate on/offline, but if people aren't motivated to do so, it's all useless. And, honestly, it's the community itself that attracts newcomers.

I've been around a few Z communities and groups across the country over several years and if I could be brutally honest, the community here is more noticeably segregated into different cliques and is not as welcoming as some of the others I've been a part of. I'm not saying it's bad now because some of the guys I met were awesome, but there's a lot of room for improvement in general. Also, there's not a lot of variety in the type of events and almost strictly caters to the show crowd.

If you want a more active and close knit community, everybody needs to step up and spread the word. Invite others to join in on the festivities and encourage them to stay and maybe even contribute to the group. You have to make others feel like they want to be a part of it all, not feel like an outsider. Hold different events, so you can attract not only the regular crew but new guys with different tastes as well (ex. race event, dyno days, install days, meet for drinks, etc).

TL;DR
    • not enough variety in events
    • not the most welcoming for noobs
    • nobody proactive
    Yes, yes, and yes. Most local car communities are not what they used to be, aka welcoming. Before it was people coming together because they loved motor sports, the car they drove and talking about anything related whether it was hearing stories or creating stories. I don't show up to a meet because I can get a discount at a local mom/pop joint. That's just an added bonus if I happen to be hungry.

One of my better nights with chicagoz was the cruise from Friday Night Lights into the city. What happened to car show AND cruise. Most people have on all their events, car show and cruise, but what happens is a bunch of people show up to a parking lot and slowly people just leave because nothing is organized for a cruise. I don't know about you guys, but looking and talking about my car/others at a show is great, but I put so much time and effort into it so I could drive it.

As 350 said, encourage people to join this community, but not just some teenage kid with a 350z. Let's target the enthusiasts who have lost faith in the car scene that's ever so been dying over the past 5-7 years. How do we encourage some of those guys to get back in the scene? I like all types of people, but I'm sick of going to meets and it being a bunch of hardasses with backwards hats who think their shit doesn't stink. We've seen what happens at Tx2k12 with those type of people, they ruin it for everyone.

Even if a couple people get together from time to time and go out you would be surprised how many more people will want to join the excitement. Just have to be open to meeting strangers with similar interests I suppose.
    Last edited by 300zxturboftw; 06-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    1985 300zx Turbo. AKA Z31. AKA WTF is a Z31.

Cruising the 80's, Picking up the Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by DiZeaZed View Post
    Im thinking of setting up a mini-meet @ superdawgs on Milwaukke and Devon ave. Just have to come up with a date and let the owner know. Would that be an ok location for people???? I agree with Chi-City G we need to step up and get some meets going.
    When are you planning this? During the week or weekend?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by I Phantom I View Post
    When are you planning this? During the week or weekend?
    I asked the owner and he said a weekday would be better. What is your opinion Enrique?? I could always think of another place with a bigger lot or something. Call me or text me this weekend.