Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2011 Car of the Month - illinifan007's Z33

Talking August 2011 Car of the Month - illinifan007's Z33

ChicagoZ.com: What got you hooked to the 350Z that you ended up purchasing it?

illinifan007:
    I got hooked when I saw the Z at the Chicago Auto Show in 2003. I wasn't into modding, JDM, or anything like that at the time, i just liked the car, the performance stats, and the price . There wasn't anything really like it performance wise, besides the mustang and camaro, which it was completely different from, and the RX-8 which my cousin already had and I wasn't too big a fan of. The problem I had was the fact I had just bought a brand new Dodge Durango R/T in 2000, which i loved and didn't necessarily want to get rid of. When gas prices in 2004 though hit the unbelievable price of $3 a gallon, I had to get out from under a 20 gallon tank, 10 mpg, and 52 mile commute. So I traded in the Durango for a brand new 2004 350Z with about 26 miles on it.

ChicagoZ.com: What action does your 350Z mostly see? drag, autox, road race, show car, weekend car, and/or daily driver...

illinifan007: Action? Like sex action? It's a small, uncomfortable car, so not very much. OH, Ohh, I see.... drag, autox, etc. Not very much yet. It's pretty much a weekend car. I have aspirations to take it to a track day or autox, but for right now, its a weekend car, moving closer to show car than race car. Eventually i'll put it on the track. I already bought a helmet. LOL

ChicagoZ.com: Any performance specs? 1/4 mile@mph, whp/wtorq, track times...

illinifan007: None really. Before I put any mods on it though, I took it to Sound Performance for a baseline dyno run. I think my best run was 248 whp, but that was with an open hood and fan in front. Before that, it was 244 whp. I need to get back there to see what my bolt-on mods have added.

ChicagoZ.com: What are your current modifications? Any future modifications/wishlist? Whether it's performance, handling, appearance, and/or sound system....

illinifan007: Before October 2009, aside from an Alpine head unit and 10" JL Audio sub, my car was completely stock. I had never been to a meet, nor even heard of ChicagoZ.com. For some reason, I decided I wanted to install a cold air intake so I did some research online and discovered ChicagoZ.com. My first mod was a JWT Popcharger and CF intake tube. My first meet was at Fuddruckers in Schaumburg. After that the mod bug bit really hard. I followed up the intake with 19" Volk GT7 wheels, Topspeed front diffuser, Chargespeed side skirts and end cowls, HKS Hi-power exhaust, Tein BASIC coilovers, SPC camber kit, polished plenum, 5/16" plenum spacer, and a bunch of other stuff in between. Future mods include a BBK, some more bling in the engine bay, and hopefully a FI setup. It's been a fun, expensive road!!!!

ChicagoZ.com: Name one thing that you love and hate the most about your 350Z.

illinifan007: I love the FEEL of my Z when I drive it. It's completely different from my DD, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep is high, rides real rough, and is only in my driveway because of work and winters. I hate it and what it represents, work and cold weather. The Z represents summer, fun, relaxation. It's low to the ground, sleek, fast. I love driving it around town. I don't hate anything about my Z. If I did, I would already have plans to trade it in. Instead I keep making upgrades. I plan on keeping it FOR-EV-ERRR!!!! FOR-EVVV-ERRR!!!!!!

Current Modifications:

Exterior:
    19" x 9.5/10.5 Volk GT7
    10 mm H&R Trak+ spacers, front & rear
    Topspeed front diffuser
    Chargespeed side skirts
    Chargespeed rear caps
    HKS Hi Power exhaust
    Tein BASIC coilovers
    SPC camber kit
    Carbon Fiber air duct

Engine:
    Polished OEM intake plenum
    Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer
    JWT Popcharger
    Mishimoto radiator hoses
    Pi-thon hose locks
    Zee Toyz fluid caps
    CF Engine cover and battery/fluid covers
    NRG CF hood dampers

Audio:
    Kenwood Exelon DNX-8120 head unit
    JL Audio 10" subwoofer
    Focal Polyglass 6.5" door speakers
    Project X Customs door pods
    Soundstream Stealth amplifiers

Future mods:
    BBK
    More bling for the engine bay
    FI setup

Special thanks to Sean for taking the photos.
    ~Khánh
    08 Nogaro Red 350Z - "life is endless" - sold
    07 Black Sapphire BMW M5 - current
    Team Project X

Congrats on the "comeback" COTM!
    Join the ChicagoZ.com Network!
    Facebook|Flickr|Twitter|Synth19.com

My flickr®

"LIKE" ChicagoZ on facebook!

nice!!

awesome, congrats
    **Get busy living, or get busy dying.**

congrats

Car looks great bro. Congrats. And woot woot to cotm

04 G35c (for the women)
    03 Chevy Impala LS (for the snow)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I added "thank yous" to my text, but the changes weren't included, so here they are...

Thanks to:
    Sean - for taking some awesome pics with little to no help from the other mods. what a bunch of JERKS... LOL! Seriously, the pictures look great. Yo skillz r cummin along nicely brah....

Project X - for putting up with my million questions. My car wouldn't look like it does without their help. Thanks for your patience, suggestions, and sharing of knowledge.

John & Khanh - for your help with DIY installs and suggestions on potential upgrades.

ChicagoZ Community - my gf hates you guys, but I enjoy meeting new people, seeing your cars, and talking to fellow car nerds. The shows, meets, etc. are always fun. Thanks for posting pics, sharing information, and generally being a fun, open place to come and comment on cars, society, and whatever else comes to mind....
    Z enthusiast, smart-ass, elitist.
    2004 350Z
    Team Project X

Congrats! Car has come a long way!
    Team Awesome ™

04 DG Coupe

LOL, congrats again! Have to say that some of the pics don't do this car justice. Have to see it in person to see how low and clean this thing is

Congrats... I remember your first meet!