Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Washing with Optimum No-Rinse by LUSTR Auto Detailing

I bought the system to use on my G if i drove it during winter, i drove the car only once and it decide to snow that night lol, after getting the car home and in my garage the next day i used the system and it worked amazing it took me about two hours to do the hole car rims and wheel wells, used some quick detailer after and car looks like when it was waxed three months ago

Quote Originally Posted by JC79G35 View Post
    I did have a question... now, I have approximately 4 coats of Z5 on the car as well as Meguair's tech Wax and a couple of doses of Meguiar's spray quick wax on top of it all for good measure before winter came along. How well protected is my paint? Since I basically have not washed my car since mid November and the car has been exposed to some of the elements (have not driven through a snow storm, just after one).
    In all honesty, it's very tough to tell just how much protection is on the car at any given time. Best way would be to do what I do on basically every detail. That is to strip the car of any wax by washing with a stronger soap to water ratio or washing with a "prep" soap that's strong to begin with, then claying. Point is to make sure all protection is off. The way you can usually tell it's off is that water will generally sit on a panel that's unprotected, instead of beading up or sheeting off quickly. There are instances where this isn't the case, but for the most part, if the water is just simply sitting on the panel and looks flat, like it's clinging onto the panel, then you probably have little to no protection on the car. Obviously the opposite is true if there is protection, in that water will bead for the most part, or quickly slide off the paint.

That said, I would simply recommend maybe stripping off your hood this upcoming spring, and seeing how the water behaves with bare paint, then waxing/sealing it and seeing how water behaves with protected paint.

Lastly, I have no experience with Zaino but from what I heard it offers fairly good protection, so if you haven't been through much rain, snow or washing, you're probably still fine. My recommendation for winter is to wax/seal a lot more often than you would during the warmer months, but this is for daily driven cars. My daily driver gets the wash like in the article every 3 weeks or so, or a few days after it's done snowing and it collects some salt and grime from the roads. It means that I seal it every 3 weeks or so, instead of 6-8 I would typically over the warmer months, but at the same time it's only an extra 30-45 minutes and I know I'm adding more protection. Best would be to do a simple ONR wash twice a week, so that the car never gets too dirty, but that's simply impossible for many people, so this is a good alternative.

Sorry I wasn't really able to specifically answer your question, but I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup83se01 View Post
    I bought the system to use on my G if i drove it during winter, i drove the car only once and it decide to snow that night lol, after getting the car home and in my garage the next day i used the system and it worked amazing it took me about two hours to do the hole car rims and wheel wells, used some quick detailer after and car looks like when it was waxed three months ago
    Good to hear. It's definitely a great process and cleans up the car really well. The thing I absolutely love about ONR is the fact that it cleans very well but is also mild and doesn't affect the protection layer much.
    Ivan Rajic
    LUSTR Auto Detail
    (773) 715-4198
    ivan@lustrdetail.com
    Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!

Quote Originally Posted by LUSTR View Post
    In all honesty, it's very tough to tell just how much protection is on the car at any given time. Best way would be to do what I do on basically every detail. That is to strip the car of any wax by washing with a stronger soap to water ratio or washing with a "prep" soap that's strong to begin with, then claying. Point is to make sure all protection is off. The way you can usually tell it's off is that water will generally sit on a panel that's unprotected, instead of beading up or sheeting off quickly. There are instances where this isn't the case, but for the most part, if the water is just simply sitting on the panel and looks flat, like it's clinging onto the panel, then you probably have little to no protection on the car. Obviously the opposite is true if there is protection, in that water will bead for the most part, or quickly slide off the paint.

That said, I would simply recommend maybe stripping off your hood this upcoming spring, and seeing how the water behaves with bare paint, then waxing/sealing it and seeing how water behaves with protected paint.

Lastly, I have no experience with Zaino but from what I heard it offers fairly good protection, so if you haven't been through much rain, snow or washing, you're probably still fine. My recommendation for winter is to wax/seal a lot more often than you would during the warmer months, but this is for daily driven cars. My daily driver gets the wash like in the article every 3 weeks or so, or a few days after it's done snowing and it collects some salt and grime from the roads. It means that I seal it every 3 weeks or so, instead of 6-8 I would typically over the warmer months, but at the same time it's only an extra 30-45 minutes and I know I'm adding more protection. Best would be to do a simple ONR wash twice a week, so that the car never gets too dirty, but that's simply impossible for many people, so this is a good alternative.

Sorry I wasn't really able to specifically answer your question, but I hope that helps.
    Thanks for the advice! I got where you were going. So, the other day I washed the car and then I did the cascade trick to see if the water sheered off and not clinging to the panel. Sure enough, most panels had that effect. The rear bumper and lower front bumper did not have the same effect. It wasn't bad, but the water did not seem to run off as smoothly as everything else. So, those will need to be resealed I think. After I washed the car, I'm happy with how my paint held up. Granted the car did not really see too many winter drives, but its still good to see everything is okay. I would hate to spend another 6+ hours "dewintering" and reprotecting the car like I did last year.
    Crabby Old Man
    Team Project X
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSH View Post
    Have some standards.