Thread: Selecting a light source

Default Selecting a light source

I have a "home made" product photo studio that made up using directions from this blog.

Now I need light source(s). I have seen and read the reviews on the lamps that come with the preboxed studios, and most complain that they are high wattage lamps in plastic stands, which get super hot and melt lol.

I don't have fancy camera equipment, just a Canon Powershot A480 point and shoot. I would like to get 2 lamps/lights, one for either side of the box, but don't really know if the type of lamp matters. I know color temp of the light will/can affect the color of the object being shot(not a huge deal as it's usually car/audio parts), but I would like to get it as close to it's true color as possible.

Would something like the Sima SL-10HD work? I was thinking of getting two of them and standing them on mini tripods.

Suggestions? Bad idea?
    Last edited by w8lifter21; 01-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    '90 Miata - '91 300zx - '99 Accord
    MotoCARR Instagram Facebook

Fluorescent strip lights as close to pure white as possible. Minimal heat, easy to set up, cost effective

Adjust white balance in post.

Quote Originally Posted by w8lifter21 View Post
    I have a "home made" product photo studio that made up using directions from this blog.

Now I need light source(s). I have seen and read the reviews on the lamps that come with the preboxed studios, and most complain that they are high wattage lamps in plastic stands, which get super hot and melt lol.

I don't have fancy camera equipment, just a Canon Powershot A480 point and shoot. I would like to get 2 lamps/lights, one for either side of the box, but don't really know if the type of lamp matters. I know color temp of the light will/can affect the color of the object being shot(not a huge deal as it's usually car/audio parts), but I would like to get it as close to it's true color as possible.

Would something like the Sima SL-10HD work? I was thinking of getting two of them and standing them on mini tripods.

Suggestions? Bad idea?