Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need more info on Nikon D40

canon

actually I have and use a Nikon D60 and really like it, the lens that does come with the kit when you purchase is definitely better and uses newer technology than D40.

as for the lenses, you can buy any type of lens with focusing motor or without focusing motor. Only difference between the Nikon and the Canon lineup is that you can't use a Canon lens on a Nikon, but you can use a Nikon lens on a Canon with an adapter. But there is enough lens manufacturer for both brands that you wont really have to bother with this.

As far as user friendly, the camera is easy enough for an average person to point and shoot and get good pictures. And at the same time it has a lot of room and options for someone that knows what they're really doing.

You could find or try the cameras mentioned at some best buys, or if you live near Arlington Heights, there is a store called Wolf camera right on rand and Arlington Heights rd that has some of these cameras for you to try.

either way you go, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with what you get. Good luck.

* ps, I was probably typing at the same time as Only1Z, so I must've repeat some of the stuff he mentioned.
    Last edited by Sean; 07-27-2010 at 10:32 PM.

So Best Buy doesn't carry the D40 anymore..so hows the D3000 ? anyone have any personal experience ?
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD
    2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T- SOLD
    2013 Genesis Coupe v6 - Current

anyone ? I'm planning on purchasing the D3000 tomorrow !
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD

Site Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RobertG35 View Post
    This is some of my recent pics:

I believe this was at Shutter S. of 250, F stop at 6.4 ( highest on the camera), and a 100 ISO:

This was S.S of 320, f-stop 6.4, ISO 100:

I forgot what i had this set to, but i think it came out good ( blurry background )

Not bad...What was the exposure compensation set to? I usually set it to -1/3 or -2/3 in sunlight (colors get a little less washed out).

I generally set my point and shoot (Canon SX210) to -1/3 or -2/3 in sunlight. I do the same on my Nikon D40x. The colors look bolder when you do this.

Here's some I took with the Canon SX210 at Animal Kingdom just a few weeks ago (didn't feel like traveling with the SLR). All pics shown here were taken at either -1/3 or -2/3 exposure compensation.

Notice the greens don't get washed out by the sunlight as much as in your pics. Just a tip from another amateur though. I'm no expert, but this is what I personally like.

1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - Lots of mods
    1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo SMZ #21 of 300
    2001 Audi S4 Stage 3 - Lots of mods as well
    1995 Lexus SC400

Those are some great pictures ! I'm not sure what the exposure compensation was..can't remember..
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD

Site Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RobertG35 View Post
    Those are some great pictures ! I'm not sure what the exposure compensation was..can't remember..
    Thanks! And this was just with a $300 point and shoot. I set it to the vivid color setting. I love when the colors pop like these do. But I noticed in all of my testing on both this and my D40x, you're definitely best off shooting -1/3 or -2/3 exposure compensation in sunlight. Even if it's cloudy but still pretty bright, I shoot -1/3. Some of this obviously depends on the camera you're using. But you certainly can learn photography even on a point and shoot if you get a good one.

The Canon SX210 is a great little camera and I can't believe how useful the 14X optical zoom is. I was in Orlando and it handled 95% of everything I needed to do...great little travel camera! It has all shooting modes (aperture, shutter, full manual, etc.). The Canon S90 is going to give cleaner images because it's 10MP vs. 14MP in my SX210 and the S90 also has a larger sensor. But in daylight, the SX210 can work very well as you can see. The S90 gives the additional feature of shooting in low light with an f2 lens. But I would recommend either point and shoot depending upon whether you prefer zoom and a little less image quality vs. less zoom/low light capability and better overall image quality.

If you're going to be shooting moving targets, however, then an SLR is required in my opinion. You'll definitely need the "faster" behaving camera and to be able to fire in continuous mode. Adorama has the Nikon D5000 refurb for $519 currently. You certainly can go with a brand new D3000 if you prefer. It will do all you need it to do I'm sure. But if you can swing the D5000, it might have a few extra things for you down the road.

1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - Lots of mods
    1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo SMZ #21 of 300
    2001 Audi S4 Stage 3 - Lots of mods as well
    1995 Lexus SC400

Thank You !!

I'm still a beginner but want to learn more..a lot more..i think i decided on the d3000, gonna go and buy it tomorrow
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD

Executive Status

Rob, a d3000 is a great starter camera. I really like it.

it is a better camera than a d40.

BTW, here are a few shots from me d40

sorry about the chii garbage in the last one.. didn't have time to remove it.

^^ lol

Well i bought the D3000 ! yay !
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD