Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need more info on Nikon D40

Default Need more info on Nikon D40

Alright guys, long story short, i've been taking some photography classes, and finally know what an aperture, ISO, shutter speed and 18% gray. lol
    I've been practicing with my parents camera which has a manual mode for setting your own ISO, aperture, S.S.
    In the near future i'm planning on getting the D40. Couple reasons, but mainly because of the price, and my parents must be able to use it in the "auto" mode if they ever wanna take it somewhere on a trip.

So,

1. Where can i buy/test out the D40?
    2. From your experience, is it a user friendly device, or even knowing the basics of photography, it will confuse me ?

I did read some info on it online, but prefer to get a "real person" response.

Thanks !
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD
    2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T- SOLD
    2013 Genesis Coupe v6 - Current

I'm a canon whore but even looking at the nikon brand, do NOT get the D40

It has very little to no room to upgrade. If you must stick with nikon, loo at D60 and above (i think).

If youre looking for a cheap camera, the alternative on the Canon side to the D40 is the Rebel XTi. You can pick these up used for about $300 and they're fantastic cameras. I started with one myself.

This is some of my recent pics:

I believe this was at Shutter S. of 250, F stop at 6.4 ( highest on the camera), and a 100 ISO:

This was S.S of 320, f-stop 6.4, ISO 100:

I forgot what i had this set to, but i think it came out good ( blurry background )

2003 G35 coupe- SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy@ProjectX View Post

It has very little to no room to upgrade. If you must stick with nikon, loo at D60 and above (i think).

If youre looking for a cheap camera, the alternative on the Canon side to the D40 is the Rebel XTi. You can pick these up used for about $300 and they're fantastic cameras. I started with one myself.
    I'm probably looking to buy new, budget is around $500..I don't know if i want to spend $600 on a camera..I'm not looking to upgrade, just want a good solid camera.
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD

I'm sure you can pick up a back-stocked Canon XSi or even a T1i for that. Both very solid cameras and the upgrade support is there if you choose to go that way. I started with an xti and now im thousands into the hobby haha

Executive Status

wow.. really?
    not much area to upgrade? lol

Rob, I own one.. and enjoyed it quite a bit when it was my main body.
    for the 500$, I would certainly get something nicer, though.. a d5000 or d3000, plus some glass.

If you want to play with d40, you can grab it from me. I haven't used it in a while since I prefer large bodies, and shoot in low light most of the time.

^^ So did you upgrade to a different camera ? If you want to sell the D40 in the near future let me know, and i'll let you know when the time comes.
    My instructor teaches photography in C.O.D and he took photo's at crime scenes when he was on the police department, i'll ask him the Rebel vs. d40 question. lol
    2003 G35 coupe- SOLD

I didnt bother educating myself with the nikon lineup but cant you ONLY buy lenses with the focusing motor in them or whatever

= not much room to upgrade.

With the rebel series of camera. every lens, ef-s mount or ef mount works

Executive Status

Nikon makes a hell of a lot of glass with built in motor.

Rob, I am not ready to sell it just yet. GF claims that she wants to try and pick up photography.

Yes, I moved on to heavier hitters since d40, just like any other camera in that bracket, is not working with high iso too well.

Site Fanatic

I didnt bother educating myself with the nikon lineup but cant you ONLY buy lenses with the focusing motor in them or whatever

= not much room to upgrade.

With the rebel series of camera. every lens, ef-s mount or ef mount works
    You don't HAVE to use only lenses with the motors. But if you want to auto focus, then you need the AF-S lenses that auto focus. However, there are lots of them out there. The D40 is a nice little camera and there are plenty of good lenses for it that auto focus. Plenty of professionals have D40's on the side since it's such a nice lightweight camera that can do anything any average person needs. When you're starting out, you need to buy lenses anyway. So the focus motor thing is irrelevant. I am an amateur enthusiast which is what this person sounds like. There's not one good reason to steer him clear of the D40. It's a nice camera and he'll probably always have it. If you upgrade to another body later, all the lenses will still be used and then he'll have a good travel camera or spare in the D40. The 18-55mm kit lens is quite good. But if you want better, you can get the 35mm f/1.8 for less than $200 (I got it for $184 shipped). It's a terrific low light lens. Then add a 55-200mm with VR and 99.9% of the world population would be set for their needs.

Let's not talk about Canon mounts vs. Nikon mounts either. You can use Nikon lenses from about a gajillion years ago if you want. You can't do that with Canon (they changed the mount circa 1986 if I recall correctly). Does this matter for this particular user? Nope not at all, but that's why it shouldn't have been brought up in the first place. :-)

For $500, I'd probably try to get the Nikon D5000 with kit lens and call it a day for now. You can add a 55-200 later on down the road.

1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - Lots of mods
    1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo SMZ #21 of 300
    2001 Audi S4 Stage 3 - Lots of mods as well
    1995 Lexus SC400