Thread: June '04 Car of the Month - ZLover4Life

Default June '04 Car of the Month - ZLover4Life

One of the best 300zx TT you'll see in Chicago! Thanks Randy!

MODIFICATIONS:

Engine and Drivetrain:
    K&N Intake (Soon to be JWT Pop Charger)
    JWT ECU (555/SP Program)
    TurboXs Type-H RFL Blow Off Valves
    Nismo 555cc/min Injectors
    HKS GT2530 Ball Bearing Turbos
    Apex-i AVC/R Boost Controller
    Greg Dupree Split Flange Downpipes
    JWT Street Clutch
    Fidanza/JWT Flywheel
    HKS Hiper Exhaust

Suspension:
    Tokico Illumina Front Shocks
    Greg Dupree Subframe Spacers

Wheels:
    Stock Rims Powdercoated Black

Brakes:
    Stillen Metal Matrix Front Brake Pads

ICE:
    Pioneer DEH-P300 Head Unit
    American Legacy 600Watt Amp
    10" Radio Shack Subwoofer (temporary replacement for 2 x 12" Lanzar Subs)
    Sony Xplod 6.5" Front Speakers
    JBL Rear Speakers

Exterior:
    Wings West W-Type Fascia
    JSpec Tail Lights
    JSpec Clear Side Markers
    Stillen Type-III Spoiler

Q & A

ChicagoZ.com : What got you hooked to the 300zx TT that you ended up purchasing it?
    ZLover4Life : Originally, I was looking for a first car, and wanted a Honda Civic... that I intended to rice out (yeah, I know, that's not good). After a while, I realized that it'd take a lot of work to make a Civic actually "fast" and started looking for 6-cylinders and V8's. Considering my budget, I was originally attracted to the 280ZX Turbo, which sucked me into the Z world. I then decided I didn't want a car that old since it'd likely have lots of little problems even if I found one in great condition. Doing Autotrader searches for other Z's, I then came across the 300ZX (Z31 models, not yet knowing anything of the Z32). After looking at pictures of them, I realized I really didn't like them. I then did a search for post-1990 300ZX's and (autotrader organizing by price) saw the $50,000+ price tag on the SMZ's and highly modded Twin Turbos. This turned me off for a while until I visited my sister in Virginia (by Norfolk Naval Air Base), where there is a plethora of 300ZX's. Driving past dealerships out there I realized the prices can get relatively low (all the dealerships by the Navy Base are repo-dealerships because the ritual there is to buy a car you can't afford to pay for, and then have it reposessed). I then stumbled upon TwinTurbo.net and became addicted to the society (a.k.a. "cult"). In their classifieds, I found a man in Arkansas selling an Aztec Red Twin Turbo for $7,000. After months of negotiations, I talked him down to $5,490. When I saw that was as low as he'd go, I drove down to Arkansas to pick up the car.

ChicagoZ.com : What action does your Z mostly see? drag, autox, road race, show car, weekend car, and/or daily driver...
    ZLover4Life : My Z is a daily driver, unfortunately. Occasionally I'll take it to the drag strip, and I also want to autocross the car, as well as (someday) road race it. I love speed, and this Z can provide a lot of it on a road course... I know it.

ChicagoZ.com : Any performance specs? 1/4 mile @ mph, whp/wtorq, track times...
    ZLover4Life : I took the car to Byron Dragway last fall and was diappointed with a consistant 14.172 @ 99mph. This was with an Intake, custom (last owner made it) exhaust, and an ECU with 16 psi of boost... on the stock clutch (which was slipping, hence the low ET). The turbos were also 1 month away from seizing and smoking like Snoop Dogg, so in retrospect, 14.172 ain't that bad for what I had. I did manage 2.0 60' times on street tires though.
    Last month I dyno tested the car at CJ Motorsports and the car yielded 403rwhp / 416.6rwtq @ 17.4 psi and 431rwhp / 400.3rwtq @ 20psi (stock intercoolers were heatsoaked, so the torque dropped a little on that run, and that's also with stock catalytic converters as well). The HKS GT2530 turbos on the car are good for about 28psi of boost, I just need to upgrade the intercoolers before I go that high. People have done 604rwhp and run 11.02 @ 135 mph with these turbos, and I'm confident that someday I'll be at a similar point.

ChicagoZ.com : What other modifications are you planning on doing to the Z if any? Whether it's performance, handling, appearance, and/or sound system...
    ZLover4Life : This question makes me realize how not close to being finished I am...
    Performance - HKS Side Mount Intercoolers, Internals (not that I need it, but someday it'd be nice), Greg Dupree Inconel Manifolds, Test Pipes, Nitrous (with purge valves into the intercoolers), Port/Polish everything, few other little things.
    Cosmetic - Finish off the Wings West body kit, replace my spoiler with a stock 90-93 turbo spoiler, repaint (either Redline or Aztec Red... considering a single black racing stripe down the passenger side), rims (either Super Advan Type 3's or custom rims that replicate the stock rims in 17" x 8" up front, 17" or 18" x 10" in back, powdercoated black like mine are now).
    Suspension - Advance Design Ground Control Coilovers, Stillen Sway Bars, Rear Strut Bar, and maybe a Front Strut Bar.

ChicagoZ.com : Won any awards? Have any sponsorships?
    ZLover4Life : No awards yet. I have yet to enter the car into any competitions though. No sponsorships either. Never really wanted one (even though working for Ultimate Z is kind of like a sponsorship). I think my car has too many little imperfections to be a show car. It's nice on the outside, but she is a little rough around the edges, and that's something that judges don't really like. As I said before, it's a daily driver, so winning shows and having sponsorships isn't exactly in the cars near future.

Site Regular

Beautiful z32 Randy, heh good thing you didnt buy a civic!
    __Mr__Griff

Site Regular

daaaaaaaaaaamn! One day, my Z too will be worthy...
    '03 PPW Track - SOLD

that looks so bad ass its unbelieveable.

great looking car! It was my first Z love back in the days...
    Join the ChicagoZ.com Network!
    Facebook|Flickr|Twitter|Synth19.com

My flickr

"LIKE" ChicagoZ on facebook!

Congrats Randy, car looks good.

hey Jason! New member eh?

Get your car posted in the Members Car Gallery section, I'm sure you'll be next!!!

btw, I haven't posted the pics of your car yet. Sorry
    Welcome to CensorshipZ.com!

nice whip

licky licky..[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]