PDA

View Full Version : LUSTR Detail Day... need member input

Ivan Rajic
04-28-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm planning on organizing some sort of detailing day/meet within the next couple months. Maybe just incorporating some detailing info into a meet at a local shop. Nothing concrete yet, which is why I'm posting this...

I'd like to open this up for suggestions from the ChiZ members and get some input on what you all would like to see when this actually happens.

I was thinking of basically doing a full detail on a panel of a donor car (probably mine) to show all the basic techniques, process, products used, etc. and then answer any questions people may have. I'm hoping to have something worked out with my supplier by then so that I can offer a few paint maintenance kits for sale, but it's not a sure thing.

Anyway, feel free to brainstorm and post any ideas you may have so when this does actually happen it will satisfy a large number of people showing up.

Thanks!

Ivan

carlili4190
04-29-2010, 09:04 PM
I would like to know how to correct/polish the paint myself(remove swirls..)

RobertG35
04-29-2010, 09:50 PM
I will definately be interested in seeing something like this, and possibly buying a product or 2.

Sincerious
04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
im usually just a lurker on CZ but i would be interested in this also because i always detail my own car.
i would like to know how to correctly use a dual action buffer just to make sure i have been using it correctly

secwind
04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm in as long as I'm free. How to properly use touch up paint & wet sand is on the top of my list.

synth19
04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
^ :yes: I've always wanted to know about the best way to use touch up paint.

Ivan Rajic
04-29-2010, 11:36 PM

That's definitely possible to demonstrate and explain. I will more than likely be using all three polishers (Makita rotary, Flex dual action and Porter Cable XP orbital) in the demonstration. Probably use each polisher with a couple different pad/polish combos to show the different results.

I will definately be interested in seeing something like this, and possibly buying a product or 2.

Good to hear there's interest. I'll be working on this over the next few weeks and hopefully have something organized for late May/early June.

im usually just a lurker on CZ but i would be interested in this also because i always detail my own car.
i would like to know how to correctly use a dual action buffer just to make sure i have been using it correctly

As said above, using polishers would definitely be demonstrated so hopefully it confirms you've been doing everything properly.

I'm in as long as I'm free. How to properly use touch up paint & wet sand is on the top of my list.

^ :yes: I've always wanted to know about the best way to use touch up paint.

This might be a bit tricky. I've done it a few times on a junk panel, and it turned out well. However once I wet sanded too much and ruined the clearcoat in the area. This is the reason I don't offer this as a service.

That said, I could definitely show the process of properly filling a paint chip. I'll have to fill in a few different chips prior to the meet because there are probably 2-5 different filling steps, each of which needs to dry for a few days, then comes sanding and finally polishing a few weeks later when the paint has fully cured. I'll give it some thought and figure out the best way to demonstrate the process.

The "so so" fix would be one of those chip repair kits, that fill the chip partially and eliminate the "peppered" look you see on bumpers, hood and fenders usually. This is never 100% as the paint in the filled chip is always more shallow than the paint around, but it's a quick and cheap fix that looks great from anything more than a few feet away.

Ivan Rajic
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Bumping this back up...

I just spoke with my supplier and I'll be able to get some kits together. I will be putting items together individually, so I wanted to get some input on what people would like to see/buy.

Stuff will be from www.detailedimage.com and sold for 10-15% off from the online prices. Also any members who need some supplies individually before any meet/detail day is scheduled just get in touch.

Thanks

300zxturboftw
06-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes and Yes!!!!! Need to know how to do these two things in the next few weeks.

jonathan0702
06-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Need a car to demonstrate on?

Ivan Rajic
06-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Need a car to demonstrate on?

No I'll be doing it on my car or a client's car (so the client's car will be finished up soon after the demo). I still haven't decided exactly how to go about doing this and demonstrating stuff, but most likely it'll be a thorough detail done on the hood of a car, using a few different machines, polishes, pads, etc. Thanks for the offer though.

I Phantom I
06-13-2010, 10:17 PM

this!

jonathan0702
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
it was worth a try :)
This doesn't apply to me...yet... but what about detailing of CF? any differences? If so, might be a popular topic.

Ivan Rajic
06-14-2010, 07:29 AM
it was worth a try :)
This doesn't apply to me...yet... but what about detailing of CF? any differences? If so, might be a popular topic.

From what I've seen, CF is clearcoated and is dealt with the same way as the rest of the panels. I honestly wouldn't know where to start with bare cf, or if they even make stuff that's not coated. I'm a cf newb